Letters to the editor can help you reach a wide audience quickly and effectively, encourage news editors to cover overlooked issues, and urge readers to support our cause.
HOW TO DO IT
- Be timely: coordinate letter submission with important events and news.
- Assume nothing: provide concise background information on the ERA and why its ratification is relevant in Virginia now.
- Be disciplined in your messaging: the best way to build support for ratification is to keep communication positive, bipartisan, inclusive, and single-issue. Avoid conflating this with other issues you care about. Encourage legislators to support ratification, rather than dwelling on past “no” votes.
- Get help: it always helps to have an extra set of eyes! Getting feedback from another ERA advocate can ensure that your message is clear. Send a note / copy to VAratifyERA.LTE@gmail.com and our team will be happy to help!
- Let us know when it’s done! We’d love to share your success with other advocates, and add to our list of letters that have been published statewide.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Check out other ERA Letters to the Editor on our “In the News” page
- Tips for Writing Letters to the Editor from Virginia Organizing
- List of Virginia Newspapers from Virginia Organizing
- ERA Talking Points
- ERA Tri-fold Brochure
- ERA 101 Flyer
- ERA Opposition and Responses – Family Foundation Letter – Aug 30
- ERA Opposition Talking Points and Corresponding Facts from Women-Matter
- 10 Ways an ERA Could Make a Difference from the ERA Coalition
- ERA 101: A Short Syllabus