Write a Letter to the Editor
Letters to the editor can help you reach a wide audience quickly and effectively, encourage news editors to cover overlooked issues, and urge readers to support our cause.
HOW TO DO IT
- Be timely: coordinate letter submission with important events and news.
- Assume nothing: provide concise background information on the ERA and why its ratification is relevant in Virginia now.
- Be disciplined in your messaging: the best way to build support for ratification is to keep communication positive, bipartisan, inclusive, and single-issue. Avoid conflating this with other issues you care about. Encourage legislators to support ratification, rather than dwelling on past “no” votes.
- Get help: it always helps to have an extra set of eyes! Getting feedback from another ERA advocate can ensure that your message is clear and Reach out and let us know if you’d like assistance!
- Let us know when it’s done! We’d love to share your success with other advocates, and add to our list of letters that have been published statewide.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Tips for Writing Letters to the Editor from Virginia Organizing
- List of Virginia Newspapers from Virginia Organizing
- ERA 101 Flyer
- ERA Talking Points from the League of Women Voters
- ERA Opposition Talking Points and Corresponding Facts from Women-Matter
- 10 Ways an ERA Could Make a Difference from the ERA Coalition
- ERA 101: A Short Syllabus