By adopting a resolution in support of Virginia’s ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment, local leaders show their support for constitutional equality and call on the Virginia Assembly to do the same. Resolutions across the state helps demonstrate the broad, bipartisan support we know . Please contact us if you are working on passing a resolution in your community; we’d love to add you to the list!
HOW TO DO IT
- Get started with the template resolution, downloadable below. This template reflect the draft of the resolution for Chesterfield County, Speaker Cox’s district.
- Consider finding a nonpartisan organization to take the lead in your area. Suggestions: American Association of University Women (AAUW), Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., League of Women Voters (LWV), and National Organization for Women (NOW). VAratifyERA particularly recommends working with local members of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. since they have the largest network throughout the entire state and a key contact / state-wide leader to assist each chapter specifically with this effort.
- Identify the organization you want to pass the resolution such as your city council, county board of supervisors, civic organizations, and chambers of commerce to adopt a resolution.
- Identify likely allies who are members of the organization and ask to meet with them. Share your resolution and ask for their support of its adoption. If they’re supportive, ask if they are willing to introduce the resolution, and for any advice or insights they can provide on getting it adopted.
- Show public support by collecting signatures and asking residents to send postcards and emails to local officials.
- Plan a public gathering to celebrate the resolution’s adoption and invite the press to spread the word.
- Let us know when it’s done! We’d love to share your success with other advocates, and build a comprehensive list of resolutions passed statewide. Just send us a note at VAratifyERA@gmail.com
WHAT YOU NEED
- Sample Resolution One and Sample Resolution Two
- See resolutions passed in other communities above
- If you need additional support / assistance or want to make sure the team knows what you are working on, please contact Anna Bradley at (804) 590-7633 or firstname.lastname@example.org