A private, community or theatrical showing of a film is an opportunity to build awareness, educate constituents, and connect with others as part of a fun social event.
WHO HAS DONE IT
- In January 2018, over 300 participants at the Byrd Theater in Richmond enjoyed the film Equal Means Equal and a panel discussion with the filmmaker, raising funds for ERA awareness-building efforts.
- In May 2018, organizations collaborated to organize a private screening of RBG, raising funds for a girls’ mentorship About 180 participants learned about the ERA.
- On Women’s Equality Day, August 26th, in 2018 over 1400 Virginians gathered in 10 venues around the state and screened Iron Jawed Angels and a campaign launch video. This August, the Women’s Equality Celebration will be On the Basis of Sex.
HOW TO DO IT
- Select a film that ties into ERA ratification:
- Equal Means Equal is a documentary film about gender equality and the ERA.
- Legalize Equality is a 30-minute version of the film that works well for house parties.
- RBG profiles the career of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and her work on gender equality. On the Basis of Sex is the “docudrama” story of Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s impact on the American justice system.
- Iron Jawed Angels tells the story of the suffragists’ fight for our right to vote.
- Carefully review the licensing requirements for your film and type of event.
- Co-host your event with other groups. This is a great way to build collaborative relationships and to increase turnout with the membership of other organizations.
- Allow time to say a few words about ERA ratification and include a call to action. Organize a panel and include local experts, legislators and advocates.
- Let us know about your event so we can help spread the word!
WHAT YOU NEED
- Host a screening of On the Basis of Sex
- How to organize an Equal Means Equal screening
- Sign for an Equal Means Equal home party action kit!
- Order a Legalize Equality DVD
- Everything you need to host a screening a private screening of Iron Jawed Angels
- How to host a house party!
- Holding a house meeting – tips from Virginia Organizing