Many localities and organizations are passing local resolutions in support of ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment. Similarly, local corporate leaders representing companies of all sizes can show their support for constitutional equality and call on the Virginia Assembly to do the same.
HOW TO DO IT
- Request a supportive corporation to send a letter on the corporate letterhead. Ideally, have the corporation send one to Speaker Cox and a second to Senate Majority Leader, Senator Norment.
- Get started with the sample letter of support, downloadable below. These letters are designed to be copied / put on corporate letterhead and sent directly to the head of the Virginia Senate and Virginia House of Delegates. Please feel free to customize the messaging and include a note of the company’s core values and how they align with the Equal Rights Amendment.
- Approach the corporation as a nonpartisan organization or private individual. Suggestions for nonpartisan organizations: American Association of University Women (AAUW), Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., League of Women Voters (LWV), and National Organization for Women (NOW). VAratifyERA particularly recommends working with local members of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. since they have the largest network throughout the entire state and a key contact / state-wide leader to assist each chapter specifically with this effort.
- Identify likely allies within the organization and ask to meet with them. Share your request and ask for their support.
- Let us know when it’s done! We’d love to share your success with other advocates, and build a comprehensive list of support around the state. If a company wants to be listed on our website as having sent a note (with or without a copy of the letter sent), please drop us a line at VAratifyERA@gmail.com