VAratifyERA encourages all Virginians to be leaders in their communities, whether you define that community as a group of friends/family, a classroom, an organization, or a city/town!
A Message from Secretary Anne Holton
We need to raise the visibility on this important issue and on Virginia’s historic opportunity to be the 38th state to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment. Whatever your interests, we want to support your efforts!
Remember: the best way to build support for ratification is to keep communication positive, nonpartisan, inclusive and single-issue.
Write a letter to the editor! Spread the word in 150 words or less. Click here for instructions and if you want someone to review it just send a copy to VAratifyERA.LTE@gmail.com and we will be happy to help! You.Can.Do.It.!!!!!
Contact your state legislators. If they were supportive, call or send a note thanking them for supporting the ERA in 2019! If they were not supportive, ask them if they plan to vote in favor of the ERA in 2020. Look up your legislator here: https://whosmy.virginiageneralassembly.gov and look up their voting record on the ERA here:
Build awareness and request formal support by corporations. Whether you are approaching a corporation as a shareholder (sample below), as an employee, or as a customer, corporate America spends a LOT of time talking about how much they love women / diversity and now is a great time for them to take a bold stand for constitutional gender equality. Here are a few ideas:
* Contact as a shareholder – sample letter here
* Contact donors of Kirk Cox – list of companies + script here
* Circulate a petition amongst employees and ask management to take a stand publicly – sample letter of support here
* Ask a company you frequent to send a letter to Speaker Cox – sample letter of support here
As we do important advocacy and outreach, our approach should be:
- Inclusive: The gender equity gap is most severe for women, particularly women of color. Boys and men are also impacted by the gender equity gap, whether they have employed mothers or are married to a woman who is underpaid. Ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment will benefit EVERYONE.
- Bipartisan: Success requires the support of Republican leadership. We need voters across the political spectrum to get involved and contact their lawmakers.
- Single-issue: Keep ERA ratification front and center, separate from other issues you are working on. Do not wear or bring accessories or materials for other groups or issues when you work on the ERA.
Previous calls to action: