VAratifyERA encourages all Virginians to be leaders in their communities, whether you define that community as a group of friends/family, a classroom, an organization, or a city/town!
A Message from Secretary Anne Holton
We need to raise the visibility on this important issue and on Virginia’s historic opportunity to be the 38th state to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment. Whatever your interests, we want to support your efforts!
Remember: the best way to build support for ratification is to keep communication positive, nonpartisan, inclusive and single-issue.
Contact Your Delegate and House Leadership Daily! Please call your lawmaker and VA House leadership to pass the ERA so Virginia can be on the right side of history!
Leadership (Call Daily):
Speaker Kirk Cox (804) 698-1066 –
Minority Leader Eileen Filler-Corn (804) 698-1041 –
Contact (daily) your own delegate. Even if (s)he is supportive, their office wants to hear from you. A number of our supportive legislators are hearing from the opposition, but not as much from supporters. So call or send a note of thanks and encouragement and brighten someone’s day! Look up your State Delegate here: https://whosmy.virginiageneralassembly.gov
Extra time? Continue to contact House leadership about moving the Equal Rights Amendment directly to the floor. The “Big 4” in leadership in the House of Delegates are:
Speaker Kirk Cox – 804.698.1066 – DelKCox@house.virginia.gov
Delegate Todd Gilbert – 804.698.1015 – DelTGilbert@house.virginia.gov
Delegate Chris Jones – 804.698.1076 – DelCJones@house.virginia.gov
Delegate Tim Hugo – 804.698.1040 – DelTHugo@house.virginia.gov
Continue to build awareness and request formal support by corporations. Whether you are approaching a corporation as a shareholder (sample below), as an employee, or as a customer, corporate America spends a LOT of time talking about how much they love women / diversity and now is a great time for them to take a bold stand for constitutional gender equality. Here are a few ideas:
* Contact as a shareholder – sample letter here
* Contact donors of Kirk Cox – list of companies + script here
* Circulate a petition amongst employees and ask management to take a stand publicly – sample letter of support here
* Ask a company you frequent to send a letter to Speaker Cox – sample letter of support here
Write a letter to the editor! Spread the word in 150 words or less. Click here for instructions and if you want someone to review it just send a copy to VAratifyERA.LTE@gmail.com and we will be happy to help! You.Can.Do.It.!!!!!
Advocacy at General Assembly – join VAratifyERA
to continue to show support for the ERA. Check out the schedule here: https://varatifyera.org/ga2019/schedule/
Sign the petition and ask others to sign too! Here’s everything you need to collect signatures on the petition!
Spread the word on social media! Click here for everything you need and make sure to include the petition link at www.VAratifyERA.org/petition!
As we do important advocacy and outreach, our approach should be:
- Inclusive: The gender equity gap is most severe for women, particularly women of color. Boys and men are also impacted by the gender equity gap, whether they have employed mothers or are married to a woman who is underpaid. Ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment will benefit EVERYONE.
- Bipartisan: Success requires the support of Republican leadership. We need voters across the political spectrum to get involved and contact their lawmakers.
- Single-issue: Keep ERA ratification front and center, separate from other issues you are working on. Do not wear or bring accessories or materials for other groups or issues when you work on the ERA.
Previous calls to action: